2.16.2012

HISTORY LESSON: DOROTHY DRAPER

Hello all! Each month, I'd like to start featuring some of my favorite designers, both throughout history and present day.  It is important to study the greats that came before you in order to move forward and do great things yourself... who better to kick it off than the one and only Dorothy Draper.  Draper was one of the first female interior designers, who launched her firm in 1923.  She was a rockstar decorator throughout the 20's and 30's helping to define that which is the Hollywood Regency Style.
Her style is iconic and her spaces are fabulous.  "Modern Baroque", mixing the old with the new.  She was always pushing boundaries, and experimenting with layering, pattern, scale, color, and material. What a dame. 
I especially love the grand wall treatments, whether it be large murals or covering entire surfaces with fabric.  It creates so much interest, and is so over the top, in a good way. Decorators I love that are able to achieve a similar effect are Tony Duquette, and Michelle Nussbaumer of Ceylon et Cie in Dallas (remember her?).If designers can do mint without making me barf, it's pretty dang good. Dorothy Draper nailed it.  I am loving the green right now (yes even the mint!). House Beautiful this month has really got me excited, especially the green velvet dining room by Meg Braff.  I would link to the image but I think its only in print... Sorry bout that. But go buy the magazine and you'll see! I've been drooling over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...